Sunday, August 1, 2010

Nothing New Under The Sun

I have been researching homeschooling statutes in Virginia today, looking for some information to help out a friend, when I came across an article on a homeschooling group in North Dakota that inundated their legislature with teabags in protest of unfair regulations hampering homeschooling in that state. Here is an excerpt -
February 20, 1989, homeschoolers flooded the offices of North Dakota legislators with hundreds of tea bags with the attached message: "The consent of the governed for home schooling, too!" The "Bismarck Tea Party" expressed homeschoolers' frustration with years of unfair treatment. Zan Tyler, Homeschool Court Report
Look at that date, 1989! Long before anyone had heard of Sarah Palin or Barack Obama. I know it wasn't the first 'Tea Party', but hey, I do think it's kinda cool that it was homeschoolers who thought of using it first as a modern expression of the unfairness of gov't overregulation! Cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Before posting, ask yourself, do I have a point? Am I speaking english? Can I spell? Keep it civil or take it elsewhere.